Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Random Home Stuff

 I know I have been talking about sewing a lot recently however we are on day 3 of the Kids Clothes Week Challenge and I have other things on my mind.  I fixed a shirt on day 1 and yesterday I made a nightgown for Ava but today it felt like a chore and that is really not what this challenge is about.  I was excited because I love seeing what people make and participating in something creative that brings people together but all together I am just not feeling it.

I know I will sew for my kids again but right now they need me in other ways.  What I want more than cute dresses is to get dinner on the table without being stressed and to help with homework and read stories and not have my mind drift off to my to do list.  They are getting big so fast and they want me, not more clothes.  I've also come to accept that sewing for my kids is on the downhill slope.  I'm not sure how many nine year olds want their mom to make their pants.  Pajamas is one thing but sewing a wardrobe for my girls just might be behind me.

Can you tell I've had more on my mind lately?

First of all Ava had an expander put in yesterday.  If you are not familiar with this torture device it is a large piece of metal that sits across the roof of your mouth.  I get the pleasure of cranking the wheel in it once a day to expand the width of her jaw.  Fun times.

Here she is showing it to Erin this morning.  I took this picture because I was hoping to post a shot of the nightgown I made yesterday but this was the best I got.


Food, books and knitting is where my brain is.  You can tell by my poorly lite photo that I am no food blogger but I wanted to write about it so I could reference it later.  This is one of the best "batch" cooking days I've had yet.


I started with 6 lbs of chicken.  (My grocery store has natural chicken on sale for $1.77/lb every once in a while and today I was in luck.  I need to start tracking when they have this price, I'm thinking it is every other month or so.  If I plan it right I can buy enough to get us through until the sale again.)

Cook 6 lbs of chicken in a Crock Pot filled with water and salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic powder to taste (4-5 hours on high or 8-10 on low).  

Remove and shred.

I added 1/2 bottle of bbq sauce to 1/4 of the chicken for sandwiches tomorrow night. Yea!  One meal done.

With the remaining 3/4 I added:
2 cans black beans
1 can of corn
1 1/2 lbs of shredded pepper Jack cheese (more or less depending on how much cheese you like)
1 bunch of green onions chopped
3 teaspoons of cumin

Mix all the ingredients then separate into three dinners.

To prepare the enchiladas pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Cover with 2 tortillas and 1/3 of the mix.  Repeat two more times and top with extra cheese and green onions.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Let stand 5 minutes and serve.

One hour of kitchen time and I made 4 dinners plus leftovers.  Awesome.

1 comment:

LoriAngela said...

Great idea. I may add this to my fiesta lunch menu as a fundraiser this Christmas. Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails