Poor Ava had to have a tooth pulled this week. She was very brave and rebounded like a champ. Had I known how well she was going to handle it I would not have stressed about it for weeks. There is something about knowing your child will be in pain that drives a mom crazy. I stocked up on soft foods and dinosaur movies and in the end I think she spent less that 8 hours on the couch.
She only took two doses of pain medicine after the anesthesia wore off and was eating cereal the next morning. Amazing. Still I thought I'd take a few notes in case we have to do this again.
I'm glad I...
- Did not tell her about the appointment. I woke her up at 6:00 a.m. for our 6:45 appt. We changed clothes and brushed our teeth and were out the door in 15 minutes. She had very little time to get anxious about what was going to happen.
- Got the first appointment of the day. She could not eat or drink anything before so I'm glad we were the first ones in. By the time we left (8:00) there were 3 more kids waiting in the waiting room. Next time I should remember to park by the exit. I had to move my car around to the back because the don't want to send bleeding kids out the waiting room door.
- Rented 8 hours of dinosaur DVD's. There were a couple of movies on Netflix she wanted to see so I ordered them a week before her procedure. I also got a few from the library. As soon as I told her she was getting her tooth pulled I also mentioned the DVD's and that we could spend the day on the couch watching movies. It gave her something to look forward to and distracted her all day long.
- Spent the day with her. She got some quality time with her mom and I got a bit of knitting done. I also gave her the sick bell so she could call me when I wasn't right there. She gave me a ring once so I would not miss the best part of the dinosaur movie. So cute.
- Shopped ahead of time. I was well stocked on jello, chicken broth, breakfast shakes, pudding and ice cream. The tooth fairy was also ready with a gift (and some cash) to make the next morning easier.
- Had a cold pack in the freezer. The rice bag I made last year was perfect to lay across her cheek. We also had extra gauze, a garbage can and a washcloth within hands reach.