Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Glacier Hike

 Last weekend we went on the most amazing hike.  I took a million pictures and I'm just now getting around to posting about it.  We somehow managed to sneak this hike in despite having a very rainy weekend.  We stayed dry but unfortunately discovered that our apartment bedroom floor did not.  Wall to wall soggy carpet is really another story which I'm not sure is worth getting into.  I'll skip over the dogs diarrhea all together.  One of these day's I'll also get around to sharing more about our apartment living.

Anyway, back to the hike.

Jeff and I took the girls and Wrigley up to Saint Mary's Glacier on Saturday.  Holy Guacamole!  This is one of the most amazing things I've seen in Colorado so far.


Although it is marked as a beginner hike the somewhat steep and rocky path might not be that accessible to everyone.  The girls did surprisingly well and so did Wrigly who just turned 11 years old last week.


Whenever we hike Jeff and Ava take the lead while I hang back with Erin who likes a slower pace with lots of rest breaks.  It would be nice to stay all together but the slower pace allows me to really soak in the scenery.  As long as Erin can move at her own pace she is a happy camper.


When we caught up with them I could tell by the smile on Jeff's face that it was worth the trek up the hill.


HELLO


Clear blue water in the middle of a lush green mountain top.  I felt like I was on another continent.

Wrigley enjoyed a nice dip.



Picnic #6 of the summer.


With grey clouds overhead we decided not to continue up to the glacier but there were groups of people that did.  Several people were skiing.  SKIING.  Apparently the mountain is skiable year round.


Just off to the left we were entertained by a group of young guys cliff diving into the water.  One after another they jumped into the water, surfaced and yelled "holy F*&#".



Pictures don't do this place justice but Erin borrowed the camera to practice her photograph skills.





If you are ever in the Denver area I would highly recommend checking out St. Mary's Glacier.  I would come back here in a heartbeat.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails