Friday, January 6, 2012

Good Mom / Bad Mom

I'm a good mom because I actually wear the jewelry that my girls make for me.  The pride in their eyes when they see me put it on does more for their self esteem than words ever could.


I am a bad mom because there is a secret part of me that gets excited when the school nurse calls to report my kid is sick and needs to be picked up.  What's that?  You mean I have to drop what I'm doing and leave work so I can have an unexpected day off.  Well, I guess.


For the record, Ava threw up at school  but has no signs of fever so I think it may have just been an upset stomach and not the flu.  Sweet!

Actually I kinda like taking care of sick kids, not throwing up kids, but kids who need their mom.  Setting up a bed on the couch, letting them watch their favorite shows all day and bringing beverages in fancy cups to make them feel special.  This brings back such clear memories of my mom doing the same for me.  Nothing makes me feel more like a mom than checking in on a sick girl.  We won't talk about taking care of sick husbands because that is a totally different story.

Also for the record, Ava watched Walking with Monsters: Before the Dinosaurs.  Not what I would choose but hey to each his own.

While I had the camera out I snapped a picture of our streaky window.  Why so streaky?  Well check back tomorrow to read about our new chore system.  It is the bomb.



update:  It was the flu and I take it all back.  Taking care of a sick kid stinks (literally).  

1 comment:

Leah said...

Add me to both categories then...I love the homemade gems that my boys make for me and wear them proudly. And yes, there is a little part of me that secretly enjoys the downtime that a sick day provides. With so much energy in our house, I really do savor the moments when they are tired and feverish and just wan to cuddle with their Mama on the couch.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails