Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cooking in Batches: French Toast

 I have one kid who could use a some more meat on her bones.  I feel like the witch from Hansel and Gretel but always looking for ways to fatten her up.  She eats the most at breakfast so I decided to start there.

Ava could eat Eggo waffles everyday for breakfast.  I've tried to boost her morning nutrition through instant breakfast shakes, smoothies and whole wheat waffles but she's done after a few sips/bites.   I finally had success with french toast.  The thing is I don't want to make french toast everyday so I cook them and freeze them in batches instead.  It works great for both of us.  I pull two slices from the freezer, heat in the microwave and she cleans her plate. 


24 slices of French Bread
1 loaf of whole wheat bread
12 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cinnamon (add according to your taste)

I'm assuming you've made French Toast.   Mix, dip and cook.


I do mine in batches of 4 because I don't have a griddle.  When they are done cooking place them on a wire rack to cool.

Now that they are cool you will flash freeze them by placing them on a cookie sheet and sticking them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.  This dries them to reduces freezer burn.

Remove the frozen toast from the freezer, stick in ziploc bags and pop'um right back in. 

To reheat I defrost in my microwave for 2 minutes then flip and zap on high for 30 seconds.  It takes me almost one hour from beginning to clean up but it is so worth it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails