I hope to encourage others who have an interest in learning to sew to jump on board. I will be posting tutorials or links to tutorials every Tuesday. So pull that sewing machine out of your mom's closet, borrow one from a neighbor or start looking for good deals on machines (I found mine on Overstock) and start sewing.
Wait... why not start right now with a cute little button hairband. Grab a button, hairband, needle, thread and scissors. Trust me you can do this project quicker than it takes to make microwave popcorn.
- Thread the needle and tie both ends together. This is a great way for kids to start sewing because the needle can't slip off the thread.
- Hold the hairband behind the button and pull the needle out the front of the button then back down the other side.
- Pull the needle through the loop of thread and pull tight.
- Continue to pass the needle through the button and around the hairband 7 or 8 times until it is secure.
- When you are ready to tie the knot pass the needle under the thread.
- Tie a knot by sticking the needle through the loop. Make several knots to make sure it is secure.
- Cut the thread and trim the ends.
I made this one for me with an extra button that came with a pair of pants.
See the pride in wearing something handmade?
Check in tomorrow for my next Project ReStyle post and then join me on Tuesday for another tutorial.
Okay... now go get those sewing machines!