Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday Tutorials

My sweet Ava will be turning 9 in just a few months.  That kid loves her dinosaurs and Pet Shops but we've both noticed her peers developing interests and hobbies beyond the toy shelf.   She still loves 'to play' with her little sister but there are glimpses of wanting to do more, to discover new things.


Sewing is certainly nothing new in our house but generally she is more of an observer.  She has recently been asking for a needle and thread and has started projects of her own.

Watch out Christian Siriano there is a new designer in town.  She used this cone of yarn as a dress form the other day.  I would post pictures of her creations but who knows where the final pieces ended up.  I think she gets the idea that the process is just as important as the product.


The dresses were just dresses and not for any doll in particular so she decided that she needed one.  We have loads of stuffed animals but very few dolls.  I flipped through my book of tutorials and pulled out this very simple pattern from Emily of The Black Apple.


Ava did all the tracing and cutting but I helped sew and turn the arms and the legs because they were so narrow.  She hand stitched "Emily's" hair and eyes on her own and I embroidered the mouth.  It was a perfect mother daughter undertaking.  I'm so proud of that kid and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails