Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kids Clothes Week Day 4 - Elastic Waist

I really liked how Ava's First Communion dress came out and I wanted to try another one (Simplicity 4927). I decided to add sleeves this time to change it up a bit. I also wanted to give it more of a waist but I wasn't sure how to gather it.

I found this dress in the girl's closet and did a little inspecting. A simple zigzag over elastic didn't look too difficult. I decided to give it a try. I turned the dress inside out and drew a line across the waist. Then I attached the elastic by stretching it as I sewed and the zigzags would gather out the back end.

The first attempt didn't go too well. The stitches were too wide and didn't gather.

But with a minor adjustment...


Here is the after. I think it will fit her much better this way.

She wasn't around for me to measure the hem so I'll have to go back and raise it up a bit but it is wearable for the time being. I couldn't resist adding a sash. Don't be surprised if you see that ribbon pop up as a headband in the future, I'm addicted.

1 comment:

Cotton Kiwi said...

What a great idea for the waist band!


Related Posts with Thumbnails