Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Buying local.

Reading the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle has really got me thinking about where I get my food. It seems like I'm not the only one picking up on this trend. Cooking Light had several stories this month about the benefits of buying local. Not only are you getting amazingly fresh delicious food, it is also so much better for the environment. This weekend our family went down to our local farmer's market and stocked up on veggies, beans, spices and homemade tamales. Yum!
To be fair, I also went to Target and Costco today. Buying in bulk has its advantages too. Didn't want to give you the wrong impression of me.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle last spring (Barbara Kingsolver is my favorite author!) and it completely changed the way we ate last summer (and the rest of the year, too). I have to say after a year of consciously trying to eat local, I am so pleased!

Lia said...

Jessica,
I saw the beautiful broccoli from your farmer's market visit. The soup looks wonderful too. Was it difficult to keep up over the winter?
Lia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails